Built by the US Army in 1863, connecting East Martello and Fort Zachary Taylor. The tower was used by the military for quartering troops, storage, signaling, and as a look out. In 1947 the Fort was released to the State and became property of Monroe County. In 1949, through efforts of Representative Joe Allen and through an agreement Monroe County & The Key West Garden Club, the Fort became home what’s know today. In 1976 the West Martello Garden Club was declared a National Historic Site by the State of Florida and is not listed in the National Register of Historic Places.